Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Magpie

I swear that little Bee has turned into a Magpie. She finds things that are small and shiny and puts them places only known to her. I have several lip glosses that have gone missing recently - I have no idea where they are, but I have to tell you, I am suspecting Bee. I do have some proof, if you want to call it that. The other morning after I finished my cup of coffee I set it down on the table, and went to the bathroom. When I came out my cup was gone. Bee was in the same spot as she was when I went into the bathroom - playing with her blocks on the living room floor. I asked her if she knew where my cup was. "No, Mommy, I no know," she replied. Hmm, I thought it was very odd, and I went around looking for the cup, thinking maybe I had set it down somewhere else. I use the same cup everyday. Sleeford gave it to me so it is very dear, and makes my morning coffee taste that much better. I could not find it anywhere. Our house is pretty small, so there weren't a lot of places to look. I ended up just using another cup for my second helping of Joe, and read the paper while I sipped and Bee continued playing with her blocks. Then she noticed that my cup was different and came over to look at it. She toddled off to the kitchen, and came back with my missing cup! "Where was it?" I asked her, and followed her back into the kitchen as she pointed to the garbage can. She told me, in a combination of English and her own language, that she had taken it and put it there. 
I can understand why she did it, it's really very simple. Bee is at that great "almost two years old" age where she learns new words everyday and understands everything you tell her. She also likes helping Mommy and Daddy, so we ask her to do things for us such as "Here, throw this away in the garbage can." Sometimes she doesn't want to do something and she says, "No, Mommy, no." And I understand that she is too busy working on her coloring to be disturbed at the moment. Anyway, sometimes she puts other things into the garbage can, recycling can, etc that don't really belong there. So far we've been lucky that she hasn't flushed anything down the toilet, but I won't be that surprised the day when that finally happens. I have to admit that Bee is very entertaining - she is constantly cracking me up, and she has a great sense of humor. If I only knew where she put those lip glosses...Duh, it's finally dawned on me that they may, or may not have been thrown away and/or recycled. Magpie!

No comments:

Post a Comment