Friday, March 13, 2009

The Artist

Bee has taken to coloring on everything and anything she can get her little hands on such as the refrigerator, the bathtub, books, table tops, toys, the front door, etc. Basically, any and all surfaces are her canvas. She is driving me bonkers because every time I turn around I find one her new masterpieces. Her medium of choice is crayon, but a couple of times she has gotten a hold of pens which makes removing her artwork from various surfaces difficult at best. I remember when we were small and my little sister drew a life size stick figure girl on the inside of our closet door. I think she used a purple crayon. She must have been about three or four at the time, and I remember that her portrait remained on our closet door so it must have been impossible to remove. What is it about little kids and drawing on stuff that they aren't supposed to draw on? I mean we've supplied Bee with coloring books and paper but she'd rather make her mark on forbidden items. Kind of like taggers. I've never realized how similar taggers are to toddlers, but they really have a lot in common. Except toddlers don't willfully deface public property, it's more of an accidental side effect of their brilliant artistry.

2 comments:

  1. As the artist of the giant stick figure girl on the inside door of our closet, I have to wonder what compelled me to do it. Why did I also draw smaller versions of her on the inside covers of our Raggedy Anne books? And why did I draw hair all around her face? I just don't remember why I did it. I only remember the thrilling and satisfying feeling that drawing my stick figure girls gave me. The drawings persisted for weeks until I got busted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part of your stick figure girl (besides the size of her) was the hair all around her face.

    ReplyDelete