Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Garden Galore!


Sparky and I cannot stop talking about our garden. We are seriously addicted. Yesterday, Sparky and Bee went to the nursery once again and bought cucumbers and spinach seeds! And today, Sparky built a little Bee proof bamboo fence around the garden plot containing our young seedlings. Besides the cucumbers and spinach, we are also going to plant onions, garlic, fennel, and a plethora of peppers and chilies. I'm planning already all the dishes I'm going to make with our cornucopia of produce. In a way, I'm glad for this New Depression; I know that sounds weird to say, but without it we never would have grown all of this food. And it's something that we'll most likely always do, no matter how much our economy improves. Sparky and I feel so luck to have a yard where we can grow things and are happy to live in a climate where we can garden year round. Despite these tough times, we are very fortunate indeed.
Some of the things I'm planning on making with our bounty are: eggplant Parmesan, ratatouille, cucumber and yogurt salad, pasta with fresh tomatoes, various soups (I have some great cookbooks from the Moosehead Collective that contain awesome vegetarian soups and salad recipes from a variety of vegetables), limoncello made from vodka and Meyer lemons, pickled peppers, hot sauce, etc. The one bad thing about the seasons changing is that pretty soon it'll be too warm for lettuce since it's a winter crop. We've grown so use to our nightly fresh salads that I'm not sure what we'll do. Maybe there are some other greens we can grow here in the summer, we'll just have to do some research. Or just make salads with other vegetables. It shouldn't be too hard, we'll have lots to choose from. Garden Galore! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dear,
    I think if you keep some seeds coming up and planting them on a regular basis you can keep your lettuces coming up...but really...I know nothing...I'm just so thrilled the garden has changed you life cuz that's what it's all about right? Belle will have some excellent food values....Loving the blog and I'm in...I'm here and I'm listening and you guys are awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think we'll just keep planting seeds to see if we can sustain lettuce year round. Thanks Dish!

    ReplyDelete