Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cornicopia


Every night for the past couple of weeks, Sparky and I have been having salads from the greens in our garden. The spinach is to die for, and Sparky claims that he can feel a vitamin boost after dining on this fresh produce. Everything has been growing like gang busters, and the broccoli is almost ready to go. Sparky keeps adding to the garden (no complaints here) and has also planted celery and strawberries. Now he wants to expand the garden even more by tearing out some agave plants, which are pretty huge. It would be cool if we could dig them up and give them away to somebody who'll love them and give them a good home. Pretty soon we may be growing most of our food, and I'll have to start canning to get us through the winter months. Oh wait a minute, it is winter. That's the good thing about living in a warm climate - gardens year round. Still, it would be a good idea to do some canning. My mother used to can fruits from our trees when we were little, and I hated helping her - washing, peeling, pitting, sterilizing jars, the work just went on and on. But now as an adult, I think that I could get into it. I like the idea of it, and it appeals to The Miser in me. And since there are no more jobs out there, I may as well try and stay busy by doing something useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment