Friday, February 20, 2009

Yellow Splurge


As a Miser, I had to quit buying flowers a long time ago. They just had to go as we have other priorities at the moment. But I love fresh flowers and have missed them. So today while out at the grocery store, Bee and I splurged and bought a happy rose bouquet at Trader Joe's. They were only $3.99, which I thought that was a pretty good deal. I wanted to buy orange ones, but I let Bee choose and she opted for yellow. It seems to be her favorite color plus her favorite word at the moment. (For some strange reason she calls water and orange juice "yellow". "More yellow," she'll say while waving her cup around. I'll say to her very slowly and clearly "wa-ter", and she'll repeat back to me just as slowly and clearly "yel-low.") It's a luxury to have flowers in the house, but it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. There are Farmers Markets, and the Flower Mart in downtown Los Angeles where bargains abound. Also, you can grow them in your very own yard, which is my new strategy. Then we can have fresh cut flowers whenever we have something blooming in the yard, and in L.A. that is pretty much year round. My all time favorite flower is the peony, and I just found out that they do quite well here in southern California. I think that flowers will be a great addition to our fruits and vegetables. After all, one does need art, music and beauty in one's life, and just because you are a Miser doesn't mean you have to do without these things. 

2 comments:

  1. I just had to say again how much I look forward to reading your blog Maureen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eve, I greatly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete