Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bee Mine


In celebration of Valentine's Day, Bee and I made heart shaped sugar cookies. Well, I made them actually. Bee did help decorate them - which mostly consisted of her licking the frosting off the cookies, and spilling green food coloring all over everything, including herself. But we had fun, and I'm looking forward to when she is a bit bigger and really is able to help cook and bake. Her and I have matching aprons, by the way. My mother sewed them for us for Christmas, the material has a fun black, white and red dog pattern on it, and they are absolutely darling. We wore them today. We matched. 
Anyway, I love handmade, homemade things more than anything, so that is what I gave my two Valentines - freshly baked cookies! My favorite gifts to give and receive are things made by hand. (I still have the Christmas ornaments my little brother made for me when he was in kindergarten.) I know a lot of crafty people who make art, knit, sew, do bead work, make jewelry, do needlework, bake, etc. Sparky and Sleeford built our deck, and they did a fine job. Sparky also paints, and makes an excellent hot sauce from the chillies he grows. The current things that I'm into right now are ceramics and knitting, and I'm starting to get into needlework. Plus, as a Miser, I like the idea of canning and pickling things from our garden. Here's a Miser's Dream: money becomes obsolete, and instead everybody in society barters, swaps and trades with either things they've made or services they provide. How cool would that be? Miser paradise!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs Miser, when my husband and I left Scotland we bartered our goods and managed to leave behind worthless (in america) electronics and brought to the new world beautifully crafted Scottish artwork. It was a lovely thing indeed. I agree with your sentiment in your posting. AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey AM - Bartering is a good thing, and your Scottish artwork sounds lovely. The Misers will one day soon check them out for themselves!

    ReplyDelete