Friday, January 23, 2009

Mantinee


Today, the Misers split up and went their own ways. I went to the movies, and Sparky spent the afternoon with Bee. I've been wanting to see "Slumdog Millionaire" for a while now, and almost did so over Christmas  up in Seattle. Instead, I was snowed in. Sparky saw a free showing with a friend at the Academy when it first came out and thought it was a winner.  Sparky and I used to go to the movies all of the time, we loved seeing a movie right when it came out, and there is just something special about seeing it on the big screen. It makes it feel more like an event. 
So I was quite excited to go to a Friday afternoon matinee showing of "Slumdog Millionaire" at The Mann in Glendale. The cost was $8.50, which really wasn't much of a bargain as the regular price is $11 for adults. (And I had to pay $1 for parking which I hated doing, but didn't have a choice. They only validate for the first 90 minutes, which really sucks because it usually takes longer than that to see a movie. It's more like subsidized parking instead of validated parking.) There were less than a dozen people in the theater, everybody was spread out, so it was like my own private screening. I have to say, I loved this film. It was like a darker, grittier Frank Capra movie, kinda of corny but also violent. It was both a love story and a dark fable with an uplifting ending. I wish that more people were like the character Jamal - the world would be a better place for it. The Bollywood ending credits were great fun and added to the charm of the movie. I highly recommend this film. 
PS: d'Artagnan was the fourth musketeer. 
Sparky says: little Bee loves water. Fountains, reservoirs, lakes, puddles (especially mud puddles), the ocean. If California's hydrological concerns are as dire in 20 years as they are now, she may very well be a part of the solution. That, or living in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment