Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lucky


On our way home from the market the other day, Sparky, Bee and I stopped and picked up a lottery ticket. The Misers have many different schemes/get quick rich ideas/money making ventures, and winning the Super Lotto is one of them. We don't buy tickets all the time, only when we are feeling especially lucky or when its an exceedingly large pot, like it is right now. Once, when I was living in Seattle I bought a lottery ticket that had four out of five winning numbers. I was so excited because surely I had won a few hundred dollars at least, if not more! I remember we had to take it to an official lottery office, not the convenience store that had sold it to me. So it had to be worth a lot, right? Turns out I won $28. For getting four out of five numbers. Do you know how hard that is to do? Well, apparently I and countless others had accomplished that task. It's the closest I've ever come to winning BIG. Maybe there is another one in me somewhere. 
Anyway, Sparky and I purchased two lotteries: a quick pick for me, and numbers of his own choosing for him. He likes to change it up so his picks aren't always the same, but they frequently have his lucky numbers. Our dear old friend Sleeford played the same exact numbers in every single lottery. He would buy a month's worth of tickets at a time. I would always ask him what his numbers were, but he would never tell me. I don't know why I had to know so badly, but I bugged him about it all the time. He just kept mum about it. He died a couple of years ago and took those numbers with him. I always think that maybe his numbers finally hit, or will hit, but we'll never know. How I wish I knew what they were, because I would play them faithfully for Sleeford in every single lottery just like he did. I have a feeling that they are very lucky numbers. Dang, man. 

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say how much I heartily enjoy your blog, P. Also, even tho' I have a job (I just got my salary cut tho' -- along with some others -- a few months ago) I do the Power Ball. The most I've ever got was one friggin' number...still, I get really excited and hopeful for a full 20 seconds when I go online to check my numbers. It must be kinda like the last few seconds of life because in those brief 20 seconds of anticipation I see a sort of blurring whiz of being able to quit my job, buy a castle in Scotland, and fly around to cool places with my dearest friends (and you must know that the Miser family are part of that dream). Is it worth the dollar? Some days it is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Misers would love to visit you in your castle in Scotland - we would actually move in with you! So keep buying those Power Balls.

    ReplyDelete