Friday, July 3, 2009

Knitting


I'm knitting blankets for my brother's twins, one blue and one green. I like both the pattern and the yarn, which is a nice soft cotton blend. It's machine washable and dry-able, which is kind of a necessity with infants. It is really quite amazing how many baby patterns use beautiful hand-wash-only yarns; it's so impractical, because babies are such tiny messy creatures. I'm wondering who these people are who are creating these patterns. People who have plenty of time on their hands to spend it all carefully hand washing their precious knitted baby heirlooms? Or rich people who pay other people to wash these items? Or maybe people who have extraordinarily clean and mess-free babies? Because in my experiences with infants, stuff is constantly coming out of all their little orifices, and hand-wash-only is just not going to cut it. So I'm being sensible and knitting them something they can actually use. My favorite things to knit are blankets, wraps, and toys. So I'm going to have to knit them some cashmere teddy bears, too. Maybe not very practical, but it's not like they'll be wearing them. And since the teddy bears are teeny, this Miser will only need a very small amount of cashmere. It's nice to knit with luxury yarns for a change, and one day when I'm no longer a Miser I'll knit cashmere wraps for everyone I know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment