Friday, April 3, 2009

Running

I used to run. It was great, I was in shape plus I felt really strong. The most I ever ran at a time was probably about seven miles - in other words,  I was not a marathon runner, but a three to five miler.  I stopped running about four years ago and started walking instead. The thing about walking is that it helps to have a walking partner, someone to talk to, otherwise it gets rather boring. I had a partner, Lex, and we used to walk three to five miles at a time, around Echo Park Lake. When Bee was an infant, Lex got pregnant, and we continued our walks. I usually wore Bee in a baby sling, and that really added to the workout. (Those things are great, by the way, I highly recommend wearing your baby - it's fun, your baby is all cocooned and snugly, and it's good exercise to boot.) When Bee finally became too heavy to wear, I pushed her in a stroller. Then Lex had her baby, and we kept on walking. It was great to have the two little ones outside getting fresh air, we all benefited from it. We were consistent with our walking, and I felt as though I was in pretty good shape. Not anymore, however. Lex and her little girl have been living abroad since January, I've lost my walking partner and I am losing my muscle tone. I've gone on a few hikes with Sparky and Bee since then, but nothing on a regular basis. So I've decided to start running again. I've missed it. I miss the runner's high, that sweet release of endorphins. I miss the feeling of being fit, of feeling strong and capable of anything. And I miss all of the energy that running used to give me. I'm a little scared to start, I have to admit, because I know it will take me a long time to get back up to speed. I need to start out really slowly, and just kind of ease my way back into it. Silver Lake has a new path, it's about three miles around, and that is where my new exercise venture will take place. One lousy little mile at a time. 

1 comment:

  1. Want To Boost Your ClickBank Commissions And Traffic?

    Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products by banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your selected ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the available ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete