Friday, April 24, 2009

Flying


It's taken me a while to recover from our flight home from the PNW, even though it's only about a two and a half hour flight. Flying with a two year old is not a lot of fun. It was way easier to fly with Bee when she was an infant; I wore her in a sling, and she snuggled up against me and slept the whole time, much like a little puppy. She would wake up a few times and protest a bit, but all I had to do was walk her up and down the aisle, or maybe give her a bottle, and she pretty much fell back to sleep. This time around was another story. Bee fell asleep in my lap about a third of the way into the flight, and I thought we were golden. But I thought wrong. The passenger next to us had to get up to use the restroom, and as I stood up with little Bee she remained asleep. Then when the passenger returned, Bee woke up. And she was not too happy about it. As we began our descent into the Los Angeles basin, she started to cry. The change of air pressure was getting to her ears. I tried to tug on her ear lobes to help alleviate the pain, but to no avail. Bee just cried louder. I cradled her in my arms and tried to soothe her the best I could. It seemed like she wailed for twenty minutes nonstop, but it was probably only five minutes. Hard to tell with a screaming two year old in your lap. I could feel the passengers around me glare in our direction, but I did my best to ignore them. Bee finally quit wailing right before we landed. The passenger next to me was very nice about it, and a woman behind me told me that I was very patient with her, and that Bee did pretty well. She had a couple of kids herself, and remembered how rough it was to fly with them when they were little. She was very sympathetic. But there was one older lady a few seats ahead of us who kept shooting us evil dagger looks. She was not a fan of ours.
Sparky, Bee and I are taking the red eye to Indiana at the end of May to visit Nanny, family and other Hoosiers. I'm dreading it. Hopefully it'll be easier with Sparky along. And hopefully Bee will sleep the whole time. We have to take the red eye because it is the ONLY direct flight from LAX to Indianapolis. The only one. So I'm going to apologize in advance to our plane mates. Sorry, but Bee's only two and doesn't yet realize that it's not polite to cry really, really loudly in public. We'll do our best to keep her happy, sleeping, and/or occupied, and thank you in advance for your understanding. But you know what? If the plane is full of Hoosiers I've a feeling we'll be just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment