Monday, June 8, 2009

Sleeping


Every since The Misers returned from Rushville, Indiana, Bee's been sleeping in bed with us. She refuses to sleep in her bed anymore - or crib, I should say. I think she may be ready for a big girl's bed. Although I'm afraid she might roll out of it like she did in Rushville, while she was sleeping on a tiny twin bed high off the ground. At least she landed on a thick layer of carpet. Poor Bee. When I went to check on her, I found her curled up in a ball on the carpet, whimpering and grunting in her sleep. My mother-in-law has these queer beds that we sleep on every time we visit her, and they have not gotten any more comfortable in the twenty years we have been going there. I found out on this trip that they were her parent's beds - the very same beds in which her mother and her father shared their married lives together! Twin beds that are actually smaller sizes than real twin beds. They are made out of Cherry wood, and are quite old. I also have reason to believe that they still have the original mattresses. I always wake up with a backache when I sleep on those things. We once offered to buy her a larger bed (for us, of course, as we are the only ones who have to sleep on them) but she turned us down because she didn't want to have to purchase new bedding, which I immediately offered to buy her as well. The truth is she is very attached to those beds as they belonged to her parents, and she will always keep them, no matter what. And make us sleep in them. It's rather sweet, really - unless you have to sleep in them. And every since we've been back in L.A., Bee's been mostly sleeping with us. I put her to bed before us, and pile pillows all around her so she won't roll off in her sleep. When we do go to bed, Bee is usually turned around on the bottom, lying in a rumpled heap,  and I pull her back to the top. But sometime in the middle of the night she'll invariably end up at the bottom of the bed again, on top of the comforter with her "Lammy" (her nick name for her blanket), curled up between our legs like a warm puppy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment