Monday, May 4, 2009

Swine Flu


Bee's been sick. Sparky and I spent the weekend tending to her, babying her, worrying about her, and trying to keep her temperature down. It spiked at 103.9. Of course I knew that she didn't really have the Swine Flu, I mean there is no way that she has been around anybody from whom she could have caught it. But still. She had a high fever, she was listless, her eyes were glassy, and she just wanted to cuddle with me. She has never been sick like this. At first, we just thought it was because she is teething (her back molars are coming in, and they are supposed to be painful - the worst ones of all). On Saturday, she was just plain cranky and fussy, and I assumed it was from her teeth. Then on Sunday, she just wanted to stay in bed - which is so not like her! That's when we really started to worry. When I called her doctor, I was on hold for a very long time. Apparently, people everywhere are jumping to the Swine Flu conclusion with every little ache and sniffle. When I finally spoke with a health care professional, after carefully describing every little thing going on with Bee, she came to the conclusion that it was something viral, and that Sparky and I were to keep an eye on her, give her plenty of liquids, monitor her temperature, and give her Tylenol every four hours. That is what we did. And now Bee is practically as good as new. Her temperature is normal, she is back to her old teething self, and the Swine Flu has been avoided. Thank god. Swine, get thee behind me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment