Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fingernail

Today is a great day. The sun is shining once again, the birds are singing, and this morning my pinkie fingernail finally fell off. A few weeks ago, my little finger accidentally got pinched in our new gate as Sparky was closing it. It hurt like hell, I cried in fact, the finger turned different colors. I had a feeling that I would lose the little fingernail that eventually turned an unnatural shade of grayish blue. But that little nail was tenacious, and it held on to dear life for weeks. The nail itself became detached from the nail bed, but the cuticle would not give it up. So I had a dead, plastic looking fingernail that flapped around, getting caught on things as it went about its business. Sometimes I put a bandage on it to hide it from the world, especially when I was in public, but it always felt much better when I let it air out, free from its cover. Sparky and especially Bee were totally grossed out by it, and whenever I asked if they wanted to see it they would yell "No!" and run from the room. I continuously wiggled that nail around, much like a first grader does with a loose tooth, willing it to fall off. And this morning I managed to peel it away from the cuticle, and it's free at last! I was kind of sad to see it go as it was my favorite fingernail, but I'm hoping that a new and improved one grows in its place. I decided to keep the nail for prosperity (I had to hide it from Bee and Sparky), but I won't include a picture of it or my nail-less finger as it is kind of yucky looking. It is such a relief to finally get rid of that thing that I feel almost reborn in my new, lack-of-little-fingernail-state, ready to take on whatever may come my way. All is right in Peanutland once again.

4 comments:

  1. Dr Jesus Savior to the unbalancedOctober 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM

    Once the pain of the injury goes away, losing a nail is fun. I love watching the process of nail death, the changing colors, the gradual loss of purchase in the nail bed, the emergence of the new nail ready to step up and take over as soon as the old guy expires. It's inspirational! It's like reading the Bible with all of the lessons crammed into this tiny bit of physiology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen and I think that you are a very good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog I enjoyed reading it very much.

    ReplyDelete