Friday, February 19, 2010

Math

One of the classes that I'm taking at college right now is an algebra class. Math has never my favorite subject, nor does it come easy for me. I admit that in the past I didn't really care how well I did in math; I never took the time to try to really understand it and I certainly don't remember ever studying. I must have just winged it. I must have just closed my eyes while taking a test and hoped for the best. It's a wonder that I know any math at all. But I somehow must have retained enough to be able to test into a regular college algebra class. Not a beginning one, not an advanced one, but one right smack dab in the middle. An average regular old algebra class. Which is actually pretty damn good for me.
I'm working very hard in this algebra class. I'm reading and re-reading the text book, doing my homework in a timely fashion, participating in class, and studying my ass off. I'm finally understanding it all - which is quite amazing to me. I'm enjoying math for the first time in my life! I'm finding a certain beauty in the orderliness of mathematical equations. In the past I always thought, why learn something I'm never going to use? But now I'm seeing practical, bone fide uses for algebra. Like if I ever want to build a trapezoid out of wood I know I'll have to use this formula to figure out how much lumber to purchase: A=lw+1/2(a+b). It's that simple. I'm sure I'll figure out other uses for math down the road. In the mean time I'm just going to try my best to grasp as much as I can. Learning math is fun!

1 comment:

  1. Good job Pnut. This has been a longtime dream of mine too. I had one glimmering algebra moment at a make up night school class. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete