Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Resolution

I have a very simple resolution for 2012, and even though I keep forgetting about it I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to stick to this one for life. My resolution isn't really so much as a resolution as it is just a new way of doing something. But I think that if I can do this one small thing, then I may just become a whole new and better person. Because I sometimes think that if you can successfully change one small thing about yourself, then you can also change the bigger things about yourself that you don't like. It's a start. Anyway, I have learned a brand new way of tying my shoes, and I resolve to tie them in this completely different fashion from now on. It's called the Ian Knot, and it is considered to be the world's fastest shoelace knot. And thanks to this knot your laces will last longer because there is less wear and tear on them. Also, you will save approximately 3.25 minutes over your lifetime. That means that you will have an extra 3 and one quarter minutes of your life to spend on doing other things besides wasting them tying your shoes! But the problem I've been having is that I keep forgetting to tie my shoes in this manner, and I end up tying them the same old way I've been doing since I was five, which is the Standard Shoelace Knot. I've been using the Standard Shoelace Knot for over forty years so it's hard to remember to use the Ian Knot. What I end up doing is tying my shoes the old way and then remembering that I want to tie them the new way, so I untie them and then retie them the new way. So I am adding more stress to my shoelaces plus wasting 3 and one quarter minutes of my life that could be spent on something besides tying shoes. Whatever. So that is my resolution for 2012. And it should be noted that I seem to be the only person I know of who has a New Year's Resolution. I wonder why that is?

4 comments:

  1. First, i wish to wish all the misers a happy new year and great wishes for bountiful prosperity for all of 2012. My suggestion is for you to solicit donations from all the believers in the Mayan myth, with the world ending who needs their flat screen anyway?

    Secondly, i would like to rail against the masters of the internet who have prevented me from commenting on your blog for the last few months. Let the voice of the people be heard, do not control our opinions, what do you think we are the poor oppressed Chinese and North Koreans? No, we are Americans and we revel in our right to talk nonsense whenever and however we wish!

    Thirdly, if you take the lord jesus in your heart all of your dreams will come true and you won't even have to break a sweat. Try it, you'll like it.

    Yours, in otherworldly bliss, Lord Muck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is Ian? Explain me that and then MAYBE I'll use his knot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian is an Aussie who is REALLY into all things shoelaces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Lord Muck's comment "rail against the masters of the internet who have prevented me from commenting on your blog..."
    (don't echo most else of what he said!)
    Cheers Peanut, and keep writing. Hope 2012 is a good one for you and family.
    Mumma; of Australia.

    ReplyDelete